Sunday 4 March 2012

The Way Every Weekend Should be Spent

Absolute scorcher in Auckland today, a high of 24! Had horrendous storms yesterday and last night, but today more than made up for it. I got up early and packed a egg mayo and ham sandwich (the egg was laid by Dorothy some time last night), packed up the car and headed to Takapuna on the North Shore. I had bought a bike off the NZ version of Ebay called Trademe and had to go and pick it up, so I thought why not make a day of it?


Got to Takapuna at about 10am and slopped on the factor 30, no sunburn for me thank you very much. Had a wander up and down the beach for about an hour and took some pics, then decided all that exercise had been quite strenuous and I needed a lie down. The beach was quite busy, but mainly with people walking up and down rather than sunbathing etc. Went in the sea a couple of times to cool off, and had a gigantic mint choc chip ice cream.



The beach started to get busy after lunch so I decided to pack up and head up the road to Killarney Park which borders Lake Pupuke. It was much quieter, and I got a pretty good laugh watching a young girl feeding some birds which then decided to follow her EVERYWHERE just in case there might be some more bread available! You could hire yachts and kayaks for the afternoon, but I decided that was a little too much like hard work.


At 3.30 I went to pick up my new bike (new to me anyway), and am looking forward to giving it a test run up to uni tomorrow. It's so much better than my current bike back in the UK and was an absolute bargain as it was on Trademe. Dual suspension, Shimano gears and Shimano disc brakes all for a fraction of the price of my UK bike! It'll definitely get some decent mileage and will let me explore a little more.


Just before I go and have a glass of wine on the deck, I must tell you all about the amazing thing that is a Kit-Kat Chunky Cookies and Cream. It was so delicious, possibly better than the peanut butter ones. A definite 10/10 and one chocolate bar I shall definitely be buying again. The Milky Bar Cookies and Cream however was a real let down, maybe 3/10. It shall never grace the inside of my stomach again.... well unless it's the only chocolate available of course, then all shall be forgiven. 


4 comments:

  1. Sound wonderful. Debbie sat on the beach 2 days ago having slapped on factor 30. However she didnt cover the soles of her feet! She has spent time in the medical centre having her feet wrapped in special bandages for blistered feet! Stay safe in that fierce sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos are fantastic, it looks a truly wonderful place. Sounds to me as if you are going to need the new bike if the Kit Kat chunky cookies and cream are that good. The bike does sound an absolute bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It kills me to say this, but I want your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's only 10,500 odd miles away. You don't need Leeds, or Dundee. You need Auckland.

      Delete